Miscellaneous Departmental Deposits
Departments or Shared Service Centers (SSC) that receive or collect money (physically held currency) for any type of programs, events, or other income for product or services must on a daily basis or any given day that funds are received do the following:
- Miscellaneous Departmental Deposit for Tender Type Cash/Checks (CCK): Total the coin, currency and checks received and processed for the business day.
- Bank Deposit: Prepare a deposit slip and prepare a tamper-proof bank bag for each single deposit containing coin, currency, and checks to be deposited at the bank. It would be ideal to list each check # for research purposes on the deposit slip or in the deposit journal. If there are too many, list the number of checks included in the deposit on the deposit slip next to the check amount. Each bank bag must show the date, submitter’s first and last name, department name, deposit amount. Lack of information on the deposit bag will delay the funds from being sent to the bank.
- Content of the deposit bag should only include money and the deposit slip. The Miscellaneous Deposit Form is not a deposit slip
- Drop Box: Seal the tampered proof bank deposit bag and place it in a designated drop box located behind Carruth O’Leary Hall to be couriered to the bank.
- Miscellaneous Deposit Form: Form should be completed in accordance with the business process established. For funds received by the Departments, Departmental staff will complete the Miscellaneous Deposit Form with proper accounting and submit to the Shared Service Center along with any supporting documentation for the deposit. Details regarding the deposit or itemized listing per customer payment, amount and type of funds received may be entered in the form for record keeping. A SSC representative will review the form and submit to Accounting Services at email@example.com.
- The Miscellaneous Deposit Form may be downloaded from the Financial System Resource Center site.
For funds directly deposited in the university bank account by ACH, wire or settlement from credit card processing, deposits are required to be processed on a daily basis. Department will complete the Miscellaneous Deposit Form and send to the Shared Service Center along with supportive documentation for the deposit.
Instructions for Completing the Miscellaneous Deposit Form
- Submit separate forms for UKANS vs. KURES deposits per instruction on form.
- Only one tender type can be submitted on a form (see instructions below).
- A separate deposit form should be completed for each business day’s activity for each tender type.
- A separate deposit form should be completed for each bank deposit bag.
- Do not insert MISC Deposit Form in Bank Bag.
- This form is not used for deposits going into KUEA accounts.
Email Subject Line Should be Entered as:
DEP MM/DD/YY Department Name Bag #. Example, DEP 12/7/20 Accounting Services AS1234567.
Cash/Check Tender Type: Example, DEP 12/7/20 Accounting Services AS1234567.
ACH or Wire and M/V/D/A Tender Types: Example, DEP 12/7/20 Accounting Services AS120720.
“Department: Submitted by” fields should be completed in full by department staff. When SSC staff are initiating the form the department name represents the department receiving the revenue and/or reduction of expense. The department name should be spelled out (no abbreviations) and should not reflect the SSC. The business date is the day the business activity was conducted.
“SSC: Submitted by” fields should be completed in full by SSC staff. The staff name should reflect the first and last name (no initials) of the SSC staff submitting the deposit form. The date field in this section indicates submission date.
Reduction of Expense:
Enter "NO" in this field if form does not include reductions of expense transaction. Enter "YES" in this field if the deposit contains a reduction of expense (account code begins with 5). Make sure that the original expenditure transaction ID is referenced with the justification in the comment box.
All segment fields per line should be completed. If there is not a value, enter the default values as shown below.
- Fund (3 digits)
- Account Code (6 digits)
- Use correct account codes
- Revenue begins with 4
- Expenses begin with 5
- Cost Center (7 digits)
- CF1 (Chartfield 1--10 digits) = 0000000000
- Program Code (4 digits) = 0000
- Reimbursable (10 digits) = 0000000000
- Project (10 digits) = 0000000000
Funds 720, 721 or 725 should not be entered on this form.
All amounts must be recorded as positive dollar amounts. Negative amount values cannot be processed in the FITC accounting system.
The "Debit Amount" field is only used for outgoing money (very uncommon). If used, enter as a positive amount. If not used, leave blank. The "Debit Total" is the sum of all debit lines on form.
The "Credit Amount" field is used for incoming money. If used, enter as a positive amount. If not used, leave blank. The "Credit Total" is the sum of all credit lines on form.
The "Total Deposit Amount" represents the net amount of the deposit.
Enter the information about the transaction. This information will be stored in the accounting record and pulled into reports.
Tender types must be separated as follows:
Cash/Check (CCK report code)
Credit Card by batch includes Visa, M/C, DISC, and AMEX (CCD report code)
ACH or Wire (WRT report code)
Bank Bag Number:
For cash/check deposits, we recommend using a combination of department acronym and bank bag number (excluding alpha characters and first 1-2 numbers on bank bag, depending on department acronym), up to 10 characters. Example: SAR1234567.
For all other tender type deposits, we recommend using department acronym and business date in MMDDYY format. Example: SAR031520
This is an optional field that can be used for more information about the deposit.
Sales Tax Code:
Sales Tax Code must be entered on all lines using a sales tax account. State of Kansas sales tax is a destination tax which means that sales tax is charged based on where the customer receives the respective goods and services unless they have a non-taxable designation. When receiving revenue for an item that also includes sales tax, this field must be completed with the appropriate Jurisdiction Code that represents a Kansas county and/or city proper location. See SALES TAX CODE tab on form for a listing of Sales Tax Codes. Pub. KS-1700 Sales & Use Tax Jurisdiction Code Booklet-Instructions can be found on the Kansas Department of Revenue Division of Taxation web site. Quarterly updates to sales tax rates can currently be found by visiting Kansas Department of Revenue Local Sales Tax Information.
Post Award Approval:
Any deposit with a project must be approved by KUCR Post Award before processing.
Use this field if you have any other special instructions for SSC Staff or KUCR Fiscal Affairs.